Photo Story: Tolerance and Trini Food :)

Share the joy

Black Cake Compressed  trinidad-doubles

callaloo  bake and shark

TOP LEFT PHOTO BY : Shameel Hosein – SOFTBOX Studios Ltd

WRITTEN BY : Derek Drayton  (NativeFoto – Founder)

NATIVEFOTO CONTRIBUTOR: Our Photographer highlighted in this POST is Shameel Hosein with his tempting image of a Traditional Black Cake. Within other POST in this BLOG Shameel demonstrates his skill within differing aspects of his craft beyond food photography. Let’s just say he’s as comfortable on the ground as he is in the air taking shots of building and Temples. We look forward to further images from Shameel to add to our Local Stock Image database at NativeFoto.com. Read on to hear me babble a bit on what could be a related topic 🙂

COMMENTARY / STORY: Those of you that know me well can confirm that I am no Chef, therefore I will not attempt to impart my knowledge on cooking in this BLOG, even though my capacity to enjoy good food should count for something :). So instead, here is where I take the opportunity to get a little philosophical.

The watchwords of Trinidad and Tobago are “Discipline, Production, Tolerance”. I will refrain from marking my fellow countrymen when it comes to Discipline and Production, as I can’t afford to lose potential customers before I’m even off the ground. However, the Twin Island Republic scores a whopping A+ from me when it comes to TOLERANCE.

You might be wondering what does all of this have to do with food ? Well, the answer is that Tolerance amongst our ethnically and culturally diverse Nation has allowed us to firstly respect, then appreciate and enjoy, and then promote and advocate each others foods and claim them all as our Trini Food !! Today it would not be difficult to find a Trini Brother in a foreign land of East Indian descent longing for homemade Callaloo, or a Sister of African descent yearning for a good Doubles and boasting  to the World about OUR food.

In this regard our Motto “Together We Aspire, Together We Achieve” rings true.

Now here’s the chance for a company plug!  The eyes are the first senses that appreciate good food, let’s continue to inspire others through images of our culinary traditions. Yeap, that’s a “call out” to photographers to  join the NativeFoto journey a share with other a view of our home.

Cheers,  My Natives 🙂

Give a little "Native Like"

14 Comments

1. Jennifer Stene-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 6:21 am

Tolerance through food. What a great concept that many countries could pay more attention to. p.s. I can almost smell the doubles 😀

2. NativeFoto Admin-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 6:39 am

So true Jen. I also prefer your phrasing of “Tolerance through food”. That sounds like the making of a book to me 🙂

3. Dustin-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Hungry!!! Come nah i feeling to tief a piece of the crab right out of that callaloo!

4. Heathcliff-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I like the concept tolerance through food.
    Nothing like trini food yes.
    Even passing through other countries, most individuals upon hearing the trini accent comment aloud “ohh I can really do with a doubles right now”
    In fact most ppl ask why didn’t you bring s doubles in your suitcase.
    Our trini food influence is far reaching.

5. NativeFoto Admin-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Hey Heathcliff, spoken like a true Pilot. Homesickness for Trini food is the #1 aliment afflicting locals living abroad.

6. NativeFoto Admin-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Dustin … If only pictures tasted like the real thing lol..

7. Gordon-Reply
    August 6, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Trinidad has such a wide range of foods from some many ethnic groups. Discipline is definitely har When faced with such a variety. From Christmas to all inclusive fetes it is difficult not to overdo.
    We always say a little of this and a little of that and then the plate is overflowing….

8. NativeFoto Admin-Reply
    August 7, 2015 at 12:30 am

Gordon, that’s why we need Carnival to force us to exercise for at least a few extra months during the year 🙂

9. Casey-Reply
    August 7, 2015 at 10:41 am

These are some good images and they make me feel for some trini food. Trinidad’s food isn’t only tasty but reflects the multicultural makeup of Trinidad adding to the appeal of the twin island republic.

10. NativeFoto Admin-Reply
    August 7, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Agreed Casey. Hopefully, the next time I am in Jamaica we meet over a Jerk Chicken lunch and I can officially welcome you as a NativeFoto Contributor.

11. P.Sawh-Reply
    August 10, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Amazing concept and great way spread the “Trini culture” through food. Food definitely brings people together. Without a doubt every foreigner I’ve met who’s been to Trinidad whether on a business trip or holiday always seem to take a moment to reminisce about the roti!! hehe

12. Zhuan-Reply
    March 22, 2017 at 10:57 am

Nice food pictures! I can’t say I’ve sampled an array of desserts from Trinidad but I did eat lots of food and lots of carbs. I did have the fruit cake/black cake, I guess different islands have different names for them.

13. March 22, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Hi Zhuan … There are loads of local treats / desserts associated with Trindad and Tobago. Some of the names include:
    Local Indian Sweets – Kurma, Ladoo, Gulab Jamun, Jalebi, Peera and Barfie
    Afro Caribbean Sweets – Cassava Pone, Toolum, Nut Cake, Tambran Ball
    Other Desserts: Sawine, Sweet Rice, Currrants Roll

Shortly we will have photos of all of the above desserts on our website: http://www.nativefoto.com

However, a picture cannot convey taste so I suggest you plan a trip to beautiful T&T 🙂

14. August 4, 2019 at 2:54 am

I have noticed you don’t monetize nativefoto.com, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional bucks every month with new monetization method.
    This is the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all websites), for more
    info simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools